I don’t pretend to be the perfect parent, I don’t think anyone is but having two teens, a toddler and a baby on the way, I feel I know a bit about parenting to give my 7 tips to being a better parent. Here they are in no particular order….
- Stop reading ‘tips on being a better parent lists’ (apart from this one obviously)
- Feed your child/ren. Children need feeding at least 3 times a day, everyday. You will be told that children need a balanced diet of fruit and veg and you can start this but you will end up just giving them whatever they will eat, and this is OK.
- Don’t kill your children. This one is probably the hardest one of all BUT it is achievable. If I can do it (so far) you can!
- Dress your children. Many say that expensive clothes make you a better parent but this is a myth. In fact I think cheaper clothes make you a better parent because 1) They’re dressed aren’t they? Why are more expensive clothes better? And 2) You don’t waste money on expensive clothes and later when they don’t want but need expensive items, you will have the money.
- Give your children love (obviously) and ‘toys’ to play with. Again many believe expensive items to be the only way but again it’s a myth. I have found cardboard boxes, sticks, TV, calpol syringes, dirty laundry, a loo roll and tape measure to work perfectly well.
- Wash your children and brush their teeth. This needs to be done as often as you can get them too, just try to make it at least once a week.
- I have mentioned not killing your children but it’s also important to not let them kill themselves/each other. Bumps and bruises are unavoidable but again this is OK.
Again I don’t consider myself to be the parent of all parent’s but I don’t think my 3 have turned out too bad with using these methods 🙂