As a mum of four, two of which have left school, I like to think I know what I’m doing when it comes to children starting school. I have compiled a list here of things that you actually need when your child starts school to help any parents that are unsure. Because its hard enough when your child starts school, we don’t need the hassle of what to buy too.
- School Uniform. This all depends on school so I suggest you look on the school website. I personally buy a couple of each item but around 5 polo shirts because they never last long.
- A good pair of shoes. I’ve been down the root of buying really cheap and they never last but I also don’t think you need to spend a ridiculous amount either. Our best ones so far were kickers.
- Bags. Most schools sell their own. We usually buy one book bag and one p.e bag from the school.
- A water bottle. You will need this even if your child is not having packed lunches. Any will do so I let my kids pick their own. Preferably none leak.
- A lunch box (only of your child is having packed lunches)
- Name labels. I prefer stick on ones. We like both petit fernand and My nametags
And that is it! That is all you will need for them to start.