So now the days are cooler it’s time to start eating more warming foods and this one is my absolute favourite dish to have. I would happily have it every week through autumn and winter.
Start with a large casserole/stock pot and add vegetables, I add….
Potatoes (I cut medium ones in half but Tom prefers them quite small so it’s up to you)
4 large carrots (peeled and sliced)
2 parsnips (peeled and sliced)
Half a large swede (peeled and cut into small chunks)
1 large onion (chopped into small chunks)
occasionally I add a leak
This is just how I do it but it really is about preference.
2. Add 2 tins of stewing steak. Princes is the best but you can get cheaper versions and they’re sold at all major supermarkets. Or you can use chunks of beef but cooking time will be about 30 mins longer.
3. Fill with water until you cover all the vegetables, usually just over half the pot.
4. Cook on the stove on gas mark 5 for 30 mins.
5. Add the dumpling and cook for a further 15 mins.
6. Make a large thick gravy, add and mix till its all gravy based. This will usually fill it almost to the top.
7. Cook on low until all veg and dumplings are cooked (usually another 5 mins) and serve.