My kids have always been good with packed lunches. It used to just be
2 snacks (all healthy)
In different varieties. Now however, they are fussy little sod’s! They’re often coming back with their lunches, going mouldy over the weekend because they don’t empty them!
I am now so fed up with it that I have searched for items that will keep them happy. Many times I have told them that they can go hungry but I know I can’t do that.
I want them to eat their lunches without me spending loads of money and energy. Here is what I have found.
1) Pizza Puff Rolls. They are super easy to make. You can find out how here
2) Sausage rolls. I could make these I suppose but for now I buy them in as they’re not that expensive.
3) Cheese straws. Again super easy to make. Buy pre-rolled pastry, cut into strips, grate cheese all over, cook in the oven for 10-15 mins.
4) Cakes and muffins. There is a whole variety you can make here and most are very simple.
5) Fruit and veg. Luckily my two are still good at both of these and no matter how old they get, they eat them better when they’re in chunks or sticks 🙂
6) Salads. Again lots of varieties and you can make the night before which is always a bonus. And if they like cold pasta dishes, you can make a big tub of that in the fridge.
7) Crackers. With cheese, ham, soft cheese, butter, all sorts (not the sweets obviously)
8) Pizza. You don’t have to keep them warm, my two are happy if it’s cold too.
9) Jelly pots.
I understand not all are super healthy but most you can get healthier versions. I’m just happy when the kids eat and I don’t hear “I’m starving” after school…..Oh wait, I do still hear that! 🙂