Now I don’t claim to be a savings expert, in fact until recently I was pretty rubbish 🙂
But Iv’e read blog post on the different ways to save money and some have worked for me and some haven’t. So I thought I would blog about what’s working for us and what we are doing and then hopefully it will inspire/ be relevant/ help someone else 🙂
- Firstly we have cut down our sky subscription. We were paying a ridiculous amount for channels that we were not really using. Plus when I called Sky them discounted some of it so that was even better 🙂
- We have started to shop at Aldi. We have saved £40 a week by shopping there. The food lasts longer and a lot of it tastes the same as more expensive brands, but half the price.
- We have cut out the takeaways. I worked out roughly how much we had spent on takeaways and meals out in a year and the result was shocking! We tried cutting them out completely but that didn’t work because if you can’t have it, you want it all the more 🙂 What;s worked for us is writing in my diary say 1 to 2 takeaway nights a month. That way we are still getting a treat but within reason.
- Using quidco you can earn cashback on all your purchases, like breakdown, car insurance, clothes, food, betting sites, everything. It’s a brilliant website.
- Online survey websites like Valued opinions They don’t get me huge amounts but every little helps. I save mine up to get amazon vouchers to get down my huge wish list 🙂
- Doing a expenditures spreadsheet every month. Not every month is the same for us because sometimes we will have a school trip, car tax etc so if we do it monthly we know exactly where we stand and don’t go over budget
- Shop weekly and meal plan. I used to write down my meals and take a shopping list but Iv’e changed that slightly. I do still take a list of things we have ran out of or still have but we decide the dinners when we are there because we look at what’s on offer or what we fancy that week.
- Taking a calculator shopping has helped us loads. We have a budget that we have to stick to so we start to see it as a bit of a challenge getting it under budget 🙂
- We have a monthly allowance of £100 to spend on treats, shopping trips etc so we take the money out of the bank and then we don’t touch the bank card again. That has saved us a lot because using your card all the time, you don’t realize how much your actually spending.
Do you save money? Do you have any tips? Please do comment if you do I love to hear your advice.