As I have 4 children, 1 having left school and two still at school, I like to think that I’m in the know when it comes to what a child needs to start school. My eldest has left school now and Harry is just about to start year one and in that time, nothing has changed!
It is an emotional time when your child starts school (no matter how many times you do it) so the last thing you need is stress over what to get. So I thought I would write a little list to help.
1) A good pair of shoes. We’ve bought cheap and they just don’t last, I’ve had to buy a few pairs in the term and it works out more expensive. If you pay a little more for shoes they last, and they sell well when the child has outgrown them. This year we have these Kickers for Harry from Jake shoes.
2) School uniform. I’ve found 3 pairs of trousers, 2 shorts (girls may prefer skirts or dresses) 4 polo shirts (if allowed) 2/3 jumpers (depends on how messy your little one is) to be enough. We usually buy 2 of everything for P.E (because they come in two packs) because it’s not an everyday thing.
3) Bags. Most schools have 1 book bag and 1 pump/P.E bag.
4) 1 drink bottle.
5) A lunchbox if you’re making lunches but we’re using the free school dinners for reception and year one.
6) Name Tags. Your child will need their name on everything! Firstly it helps them to identify their name but also will help reduce lost property. We use the My Name Tags ones.
And that is it. You may also need wellies/raincoat/hat etc if they have outdoor activities like forest school etc but you wont need those until they actually start.